Cuff Slocum Farm

  • In 1766 this was all part of the Town of Dartmouth. When the Town of Westport was divided off from the Town of Dartmouth in 1787, the boundary line was drawn along what is now known as Fisher Road
  • The Cuff Slocum farm was about 0.8 of a mile east of the Head of Westport, the first significant settlement at that time in what became the Town of Westport.
  • The eastern boundary of the farm was roughly along what is now Fisher Road.
  • A family cemetery, that was located in the northeast corner of the farm and is believed to contain the graves of many descendants of Cuff and Ruth Slocum, has been cut off from the original farm by the rerouting of Fisher Road in 1988 that left the cemetery on the southeast corner of the intersection of Fisher Road and Old County Road.
  • At the time of Cuff Slocum’s purchase of this farm there was already a house and other buildings on it as indicated in the citation from the deed as mentioned by Lamont Thomas in footnote 5.
  • The date of construction of the original house is uncertain, but it probably was built during the period that Enos Gifford owned the property from 1736 to 1763.
  • At the time that he purchased the farm in 1766, Cuff Slocum also entered into an agreement with David Brownell to re-shingle the north and south sides of the house, further suggesting that the house had been in existence long enough to require re-shingling.
  • It is likely that the land around the house and out-buildings had been at least partially cleared and farmed by the time Cuff Slocum and family moved in.
  • Enos Gifford had previously granted two approximately 100-acres properties to his two daughters Rachel Gifford Wilbour and Dorcas Gifford Manchester. These two properties were to the south of the Cuff Slocum farm, with Rachel’s abutting the south boundary of his farm, and Dorcas’ abutting the south boundary of Rachel’s property.
  • Jonathan Soule was the abutter to the west. This same neighbor is apparently the person named as executor of Cuff Slocum’s will.
  • It is noteworthy that this African man, three decades after gaining his freedom, was on sufficiently good terms with his “well-beloved friend and neighbor” a third generation Mayflower descendent, to have him be the executor of his will.
  • Enos Gifford and Phillip Allen were the abutters to the east. Both of them were descendants of early Dartmouth settlers who had bought land from the original proprietors in the 1670s and 1680s.
  • The original house on Old County Road appears to have been replaced by a newer structure in the latter half of the 19 th century. An ell was probably brought from some other property and subsequently added to the east side of the 19 th century main house. The house at 761 Old County Road is recorded in the Westport Historical Register as probably having belonged at one time to Cuff Slocum. It would be more accurate to say that this property was the site of the original house that Cuff Slocum acquired in 1766 but the original structure has been replaced.
  • A solar farm was established on the western side of the Cuff Slocum farm by the Clean Energy Collective in the fall of 2016. It has been named the Cuff Slocum Collective Solar Farm and so recognized at a dedication ceremony at the site on November 17, 2016, 250 years after Cuff Slocum purchased this property.

When he died, Cuff Slocum bequeathed this farm to his two younger sons, John and Paul, with provision for his widow to live on the property, which she apparently did until she died in 1787.